Pillow Talk: 3 Tips to Mixing Patterns
July 16, 2015
Hi there! It’s Michaela and I’m back to give you some pillow pattern mixing tips for your home.
I find one of the hardest things for people to pull together in their homes is how to mix patterns; specifically in pillows. Pillows are an essential part of the sofa. They provide texture, color, pattern, and a cozy feeling that make people feel invited to sit down. So when you have multiple pillows touching each other, the patterns obviously have to mix and play well off of each other.
Here are my 3 steps for mixing patterns and a little peek into my own sectional sofa with my new pillow covers made by my amazingly talented Grandma. We run an Etsy shop called Lilac & Grace where you can buy ready-made pillows or get us to help you find custom fabrics for your home.
2. Character: styles of 2 or more patterns need to be compatible in the following ways:
* Color: hues within patterns should be similar (not exact!) or should be complimentary to one another. Repeating colors within patterns helps unify the look.
* Scale: If you have three different patterns for your sofa, they need to be of varied scales. One can be your large scale print (my floral pattern seen in the photos), the second can be half the scale as the largest print, and the third can be a complimentary color palette to the first to and either in a small scale or a solid fabric.
My combination is this: – Large-scale graphic pattern for my dominant fabric.– More subtle, slightly smaller scale geometric print for my supporting fabric.– Solid sea glass color fabric for my third fabric.
3. Consider patterns that pair well: It’s crucial to pair patterns that work well together. Typically floral and geometric prints pair extremely well together (and create visual harmony!) Here are some other favorite pairings:
– polka dots and organic graphics (florals)
– polka dots, stripes, florals
– plaid and paisley
– ikat and polka dots
– chevron/herringbone and floral
– animal prints and fabrics with a tactile texture
I’m really excited about the pillows in my apartment (shown above) and hope this visual and a few tips will help you pick patterns that mix well together for your sofa pillows.
Let me know if you have any tips down below in the comments!