(3) Super Foods & (1) Super Recipe
January 24, 2015
HEALTH + FITNESS
3 Super Foods + 1 Super Recipe
By Megan Roosevelt, Registered Dietitian Founder of HealthyGroceryGirl.com
Chia Seed, Coconut, Spirulina, these Super Foods are growing in popularity and making their way into grocery stores everywhere. We hear that they are good for us, but some of us may be wondering what it is exactly that makes them so healthy? And how can we integrate these super foods into our everyday life?
Chia Seeds Health Benefits:
• Chia seeds are rich in heart hearty Omega-3 fatty acids and contain magnesium, amino acids and other healthy minerals
• Per gram, chia seeds have five times the calcium as milk, 3 times the iron of spinach and 2 times the protein of any other seed or grain
• Chia seeds provide 4 grams of fiber per 1 tablespoon serving!
How To Eat:
Choose whole chia seeds. One tablespoon is a recommended serving size. Add to smoothies, beverages, baked goods or salads!
Coconut Oil Health Benefits:
• Rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), a saturated fatty acid that the body uses for energy, rather than fat storage
• Coconut can help raise HDL (good cholesterol) and lower LDL (bad cholesterol) levels
• Coconut can help manage weight and improve weight loss
How To Eat:
Choose Organic and unrefined coconut coconut oil. Use in place of vegetable oils for heated recipes such as when cooking or baking. You can also enjoy coconut milk and coconut water, however their nutritional benefits will vary from coconut oil (which comes from the coconut meat of the coconut fruit).
• Spirulina is a blue-green algae high in protein
• Spirulina can help the body naturally cleanse and detoxify
• Spirulina contains B vitamins, vitamin D, vitamin K, vitamin E, calcium,
chromium, copper, iodine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium and zinc.
How To Eat:
Add a serving of Spirulina powder (or choose a Greens Powder that contains Spirulina) into smoothies, beverages, even baked goods! You can also consume Spirulina tablets.
Cinnamon Apple Smoothie
With Chia Seeds! This recipe makes a great afternoon snack.
Makes One, 16-ounce Smoothie
1⁄2 cup unsweetened almond milk 1⁄2 cup coconut water
1 apple, cored
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
4 pitted medjool dates 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg Pinch of sea salt
• Wash, core and slice apple
• Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high for 20-
30 seconds. Pour into a glass, add a straw and enjoy!
• A high-speed blender is important for this recipe. Low quality / low speed blenders may leave your smoothie chunky, like applesauce, which is still delicious!
• Choose Organic ingredients
• Boost protein by adding a tablespoon of nut butter a plant-based protein
For recipes, meal plans and more nutrition tips, check out the Healthy Grocery Girl Nutrition Plan at HealthyGroceryGirl.com